5/30/2008

Everything I Know about Jell-O (Ten Minutes, Go!)

Page 17. Tell Me. Tell me everything you know about Jell-O.

Consider Jell-O. Jell-O is accessible. Jell-O is colors. Jell-O makes me think of church fellowship dinners, Fourth of July extravaganzas and kids in the supermarket. Kids consider Jell-O to be a dessert that's "on their level."

As a child I remember stopping to look at the wide array of Jell-O boxes and flavors, reading them all, considering the names: Lime, Raspberry, Cherry, Black Cherry, Orange... Then I'd inevitably turn to my mother and ask, "Can we get some Jell-O?"

There was usually a box or two of Jell-O in our pantry. I'd come upon it while rummaging for something sweet and I'd consider making it. Hmmm. I won't be able to eat it for a few hours....Can't I wait that long? Wish I made it a few hours ago. Sometimes I'd mix it up and pour it into four cereal bowls and walk them carefully to the refridgerator, taking deliberate steps while staring at the thick colorful liquid moving back and forth.

Sometimes our parents would take my sister and me out to Rustler Steak House for dinner. If we got to pick out a dessert, it'd sometimes be Jell-O. We'd take our straws out of our molded plastic glasses of soda, stick them into the Jell-O and suck loudly. We'd all snicker at the disgusting noise it made. Even my parents.

Now, as a parent, my kids run ahead of me in the Jell-O aisle and stare at the boxes.
Mom! Can we get Jell-O?!

No comments: