5/06/2010

Big Pop Pop

Who do you know that died well?

I distinctly remember a smile coming to my face. It was the day of Live Aid, July 13, 1985. I had been there all day from the wee hours of the morning until dark. My friend Jane made the rounds in her father's station wagon, dropping off everyone who came along, exhausted and bedraggled. Julie and I lugged ourselves from the curb up the back steps and were met by mom and dad. Mom said, "Big Pop Pop died today." I looked up from my sorry state, shocked back to reality by her words. "Pop Pop was there with him at the home. They had lunch together and went back to his room where Big Pop Pop laid down in his bed. He said he'd like to take a nap so Pop Pop said, 'Well, I'm going to leave then' and headed for the door. He turned around and Big Pop Pop had died."

Belford Stathem Mayhew, a.k.a. Big Pop Pop, was 101 (and a half), healthy, peaceful and as ornery as ever.

No comments: